Klondike National Historic Sites Photo Contest
© Parks Canada
“It was an animated scene, and one upon which the new-comer gazed with wonder.”
–Tappan Adney, The Klondike Stampede, 1899
Klondike National Historic Sites want to see your vision of the Klondike – so please send us your photos, and have them displayed at the Palace Grand theatre during the Arts Festival Gallery Walk! And also, you can win some neat prizes…. the details:
Categories (4): Adult / Youth (16 and under) Goldfields / Dawson
- Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a stick or CD with your image to: Klondike NHS Box 390, Dawson, YT, Y0B 1G0
- The contest opens on Friday, May 18th, at 12:00 p.m. (PDT) and closes onWednesday, August 1st, at midnight (PDT). Winners will be announced at the concert at the Palace Grand Theatre on Sunday, August 19th.
- All photos must have people in them – our goal is to depict the human story that continues to unfold through these machines, buildings and landscape.
- All photos must depict an artefact, building or installation of the Dawson Historical Complex NHS, the SS Keno NHS, Dredge No. 4 NHS or Discovery Claim NHS.
- All photos entered must be unique; duplicates will be removed. The Klondike National Historic Sites reserve the right to remove photos deemed inappropriate.
- Photos must be submitted in a maximum-quality, uncompressed TIFF or JPEG file. Please ensure it is at least 8” wide for a horizontal image or 8” tall for a vertical image at 300 dpi, however, bigger is better. Content alteration of digital files is prohibited; cropping of photos is permitted, tonal or colour corrections are acceptable, including black and white conversion.
- Parks Canada reserves the non-exclusive right to publish any entry and/or use any entry in promotional material, however images will not be used for commercial purposes.
- All photos must be accompanied by the following:
- No requests for special access to buildings or facilities will be entertained. All photos must be taken from areas publicly accessible, or while on regular Parks Canada tours or at Parks Canada events.
- All entries may be used in future Parks Canada promotions; credit will always be given when image is used by Parks Canada.
- “Youth” is defined as 16 years or younger, as of the contest start date, Friday, May 18th, 2012.
There will be a panel of judges, as well as a participatory element of judging for the public.
Photos will be judged on: Artistic merit, creative capture of the inspirational sentence, and depiction of visitors interacting with the Historic Sites in ways which are vibrant, exciting, energetic and vital.
The public judging element will be conducted from August 16th to 20th, 2012 (Discovery Days weekend) through both paper ballots at the Palace Grand Theatre exhibition, and online through KIAC’s website. The public voting will comprise one third of the total score.
Entries will be judged “blind” (ie. judges will not have access to the name of the contestant)
- Contest will be launched Friday, May 18th 2012 (Gold Show)
- Entries will be accepted until August 1st, 2012
- An exhibition of all entries will be mounted in the Palace Grand Theatre and online to be available for public viewing beginning with the KIAC Gallery Walk on Thursday, August 16th, 2012, and at times throughout the weekend.
- Public will be able to vote for their favourite pictures from each category during the Gallery Walk gala, and throughout the weekend at specified times.
- All photos will also be available for viewing on the KIAC website, and online votes will be accepted.
- Winners will be announced at the concert at the Palace Grand Theatre on Sunday, August 19th.
- A Parks Canada Discovery Pass (family) providing entry for one year to all Parks Canada run National Parks and National Historic Sites across Canada
- A numbered print by either Jim Robb or Halin de Repentigny.
- A selection of awesome, fashionable and fun Parks Canada swag!